We predicted Samsung’s new flagship smartphone would blow away the competition, but we didn’t mean this. A proud owner of a S3 was driving around Dublin with his phone in the car mount (no charger connected), when suddenly he saw the device emitting a white flame and sparks, followed by a bang.
The phone had burned from the inside out, even causing slight damage to his vehicle.
Samsung have responded in their “Samsung Tomorrow” blog saying “Samsung is aware of this issue and will begin investigating as soon as we receive the specific product in question. Once the investigation is complete, we will be able to provide further details on the situation. We are committed to providing our customers with the safest products possible and are looking at this seriously.”
Check out the original forum post for more photos of the ill-fated device.