Back in the early 1930s there was a comic strip which told the story of a hard-hitting, fast-shooting, smart Chicago police detective with a chiseled jaw. His name was Dick Tracy and the comic strip is still running today (my suggestion is for you to avoid the 1990 film like the plague). One of his high-tech gadgets introduced in the late 1940’s was a 2-way wrist radio which enabled him to communicate with Headquarters and help thwart the bad guys.
Sony is releasing what they are calling the SmartWatch. The SmartWatch acts as a remote control center for your Android smartphone, sending timely and personal information straight from your smartphone to your wrist. With just a tap and a swipe you can:
- Read social media updates, text messages and email
- Manage calls with a simple touch and swipe
- Personalize with apps downloaded from Google Play
- Control your smartphone’s music
- Snap pictures with your Android phone via SmartWatch
What’s interesting here is that you can answer calls without even having your phone in hand, meaning you could have it in your pocket and answer the phone via your watch and talk via Bluetooth. And even more interesting is the ability to be your own spy by taking pictures with your Android phone via your watch. You could be your own Dick Tracy!
The SmartWatch is currently available for purchase at Sony.com. Read the full press release below for more information.
Store your Smartphone: SmartWatch
from Sony Brings Android Power
Straight to Wrist
Innovative Android™ accessory from Sony allows you to stay connected when your phone is stowed in your pocket or bag
• Read social updates, text messages and email
• Manage calls with a simple touch and swipe
• Personalize with apps downloaded from Google Play
• Control music on your smartphone
• Snap pictures with your Android phone from a distance
April 12, 2012, Atlanta, GA –Sony Mobile Communications announces the availability of its new SmartWatch, a wearable device that extends the power of Android smartphones by sending timely and personal information from your smartphone straight to your wrist. A vibration and screen alert notifies you of key events, like an incoming call. It also allows you to read texts and emails as well as receive Facebook™ and Twitter™ updates – all from your wrist.
SmartWatch from Sony connects to Android smartphones via Bluetooth™ giving you the ability to control key functions without removing your smartphone from your pocket or bag. With just a tap, touch, and swipe, SmartWatch turns from a watch displaying the time to a remote information center for your Android smartphone.
A growing number of apps are available for download through Google Play – including those for social updates, workouts and music – all customized for the 1.3-inch OLED SmartWatch touch screen. While SmartWatch works with these existing apps, Android developers can create apps specifically for the device. SmartWatch works with most Android (2.1 and above) smartphones.
“SmartWatch is the first of many Smart Extras that seamlessly connect and expand the smartphone’s reach and user experience,” said Paul Hamnett, President and Head of Customer Unit, North America, Sony Mobile Communications. “Designed to break free from the single screen experience, SmartWatch provides access to live content and entertainment on the go.”
The durable SmartWatch is dust proof and splash proof and comes with a black rubber wristband included in the box. Wristbands in five additional colors are available for purchase. SmartWatch’s design includes a rear mounted clip, so it can be removed from the wristband and attached to clothing or a belt.
At launch, SmartWatch has a suggested retail price of $149.99 and will be available athttp://www.sony.com/smartwatch
SmartWatch is part of Sony Mobile Communications’ strategy to create Smart Extras that make Android smartphones smarter.
Key Features of Sony Xperia™ SmartWatch:
- · Dimensions: 1.42 X 1.42 X 0.3 in
- · Weight: 0.55 oz
- · Display: 1.3” OLED display, 128 x 128 pixels
- · Compatibility: Bluetooth™ 3.0 and Android™ 2.1 or above
- · Connectivity: Standard USB charging
- · Battery life: Up to 4 days
- · Language support for: English, Spanish, French, Chinese (Traditional), Portuguese, Swedish, Russian, Danish, Polish, Japanese, Czech, German, Modern Greek, Dutch
- · Notifications: Display notification or vibration
- · Apps: All events (displays in chronological order), Messaging (SMS/MMS), corporate E-mail (for Sony™ and Sony Ericsson Android phones), Gmail (for all other Android smartphones) Calendar Notifications,Facebook™, Twitter™, Music Player, Call handling (call, mute, reject, or answer and send pre-defined SMS), Pre-defined SMS, e.g. missed calls – I’m busy, messaging – call me, email – ok, Battery strength, Find phone, and Weather widget. Plus lots of apps on Android™ market.
- · Additional SmartWatch bands available in pink, white, mint, grey and blue
For full details on all products news, please visit the press room and the product blog:http://blogs.sonymobile.com/