It’s been a little over 6 months now since Google announced Ice Cream sandwich and the Samsung Galaxy Nexus handset however in that 6 month, the only people to make a dent in updating their backdated devices were infact Google themselves as the other OEM’s struggled to get the new OS out to their handsets and even when they did they have done it in dribs and drabs.
The good news is that the wait for Sony devices is almost over as Sony have today announced that they have started to update another 7 devices from 2011 bringing total tally to 11 devices (sadly not the Xperia Play).
Initially Sony led the way with:
- Xperia Ray – http://talk.sonymobile.com/message/199350#199350
- Xperia Arc S – http://talk.sonymobile.com/message/199360#199360
- Xperia Neo V – http://talk.sonymobile.com/message/199356#199356
And now they have added:
- Xperia Neo – http://talk.sonymobile.com/message/199355#199355
- Xperia Arc – http://talk.sonymobile.com/message/199357#199357
- Xperia Pro – http://talk.sonymobile.com/message/199354#199354
- Xperia Mini Pro – http://talk.sonymobile.com/message/199353#199353
- Xperia Mini – http://talk.sonymobile.com/message/199352#199352
- Xperia Active – http://talk.sonymobile.com/message/199351#199351
- Live with Walkman – http://talk.sonymobile.com/message/199753#199753
You have to hand it to them, not only do they offer second to none dev support but they also now show how it should be done for upgrading your old kit.
The one point to note is that they are doing it in stages so whilst you may have one of the above handsets your upgrade may not be ready so just hang fire and it will be there very soon.
The update will require the PC Suite from Sony so at least download it and get yourself ready for when it does come along.