If like me you watched the event then this will not come as news to you however if you didn’t then you should like this.
At the IFA in Berlin today, Sony Ericsson introduced an overhauled Sony Ericsson Xperia ARC S handset.
Amongst the changes to the specs we can expect
- Android 2.3.4
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 1.4GHz
- Mobile with BRAVIA Engine
So, the main differences are that the handset will feature a “3D sweep panorama” mode that converts 2D photos in 3D then lets you view them via a compatible Sony 3D Television. It’s worth noting though that the handset has just the one 8 MP camera so this I guess will be a bit like the new LG Feature of converting 2D games to 3D.
Posted by: John
press release after the break
Sony Ericsson unveils its fastest entertainment experiences to date with Xperia™ arc S – The full press release
Sony Ericsson today unveiled Xperia™ arc S at Sony’s press conference in conjunction with IFA in Berlin. Taking the award-winning sleek design from Xperia arc*,the latest addition to the Xperia™ family has a processor upgraded to 1.4Ghz, Sony 3D sweep panorama technology and access to the Sony Entertainment Network services – “Music Unlimited” and “Video Unlimited”**. Xperia™ arc S features 25% faster camera start up and media conversion , along with 20% faster web page rendering compared to Xperia™ arc***.
Consumers with a 2011 Xperia™ smartphone are now able to enjoy “Music Unlimited” and “Video Unlimited” subject to market availability**:
- “Music Unlimited” has a global catalogue of over 10 million unique songs**** with access to your personal music library and ad free radio channels across multiple devices.
- “Video Unlimited” (currently exclusive to Sony Ericsson Xperia™) is the ultimate source for the latest Hollywood blockbusters, all-time classics, and TV shows from all major studios.
Nikolaus Scheurer, Head of Product Marketing at Sony Ericsson said: “Xperia™ arc S is the fastest and most entertaining Xperia™ to date and it clearly demonstrates how the Xperia™ family are the best smartphones to experience great entertainment services such as Music Unlimited and Video Unlimited.”
In addition to these services, Xperia™ arc S includes best-in-class Sony technology such as 3D sweep panorama. 3D sweep panorama images can be captured and then viewed by connecting the phone to a 3D TV using the HDMI output. Xperia™ arc S also has a visually brilliant 4.2” Reality Display with Mobile BRAVIA® Engine, an 8.1mp camera with HD video capability and Sony’s award winning Exmor R™ for mobile image sensor that enhances still images and videos even in low light conditions.
Consumers also have access to a uniquely social entertainment experience of sharing and discovery with Facebook inside Xperia™, plus the extensive world of Android with over 250,000 applications.
Xperia™ arc S at a glance:
- Super fast 1.4 GHz processor
- 3D and 2D sweep panorama photography
- 8.1 MP camera with Exmor R™ for mobile image sensor
- 4.2“ Reality display with Mobile BRAVIA® Engine
- Latest Android™ platform Gingerbread 2.3
Sony Ericsson Xperia™ arc S will be available globally in selected markets from Q4 2011.
For full details all products news, please visit the press room and the product blog:
* Xperia™arc S and Xperia™ arc are winners of the EISA (European Imaging and Sound Association) award for European Camera Phone 2011-2012. Xperia™ arc is also the winner of the prestigious red dot Product Design Award 2011
** Availability of Sony Entertainment Network services:
- “Music Unlimited” and “Video Unlimited” are expected to become available on Xperia™ arc S and launch timing will vary by region. Customers will be notified when services are available.
- Markets for Video Unlimited: USA, Italy, Spain, Germany, UK, France, Australia, Canada and Japan